Tuesday, August 4, 2009

Home (a place or a state of mind?)


So Devan is back in the states and I could not be more excited! (For those of you that don't know she has been in spain for the past two weeks.) I managed to leave the office early today for the first time in a while because my sister Devan was flying back in town from a two week adventure in spain. I was so excited to hear about the new outlook on life I knew she would have just as I did when I spent time alone in Australia. I rushed home (well as much as Houston traffic would let me. And par for the course, it was worse today than it has been in a while) to hear stories of hostels, tapas bars (tapas not topless) summer wine and cathedrals that may, or may not have been touched by Jesus himself. It all confirmed my theory that traveling is not a hobby or a past time it is an addiction. An addiction that can only be understood by those who share it. So now I will say it again (and it is more true now than it ever has been) but I truly believe that my sister is misunderstood by most but I, I get her. This said, her smile and gaze through fatigued yet somehow brighter eyes sent me back to my own return back "home" to "the states". I remember saying its so good to be "home". But this time it seems that home has a new definition. Once you discover what it really is that makes you tick and you .....get yourself... it seems home becomes more of a state of mind than a destination. It's going to the store and understanding all the words on every package and maybe even knowing exactly what isle it might be on, it's knowing exactly what you are putting in your mouth at every meal, its commenting to the random person next to you and not having to worry that there may be a language burier, its sitting along side your friends and family and not saying a word and knowing they know what you are thinking and most of all it's being able to get a big hug for the first time in a long time. Oh what a great night it will be for her when her head hits the pillow in her own bed without a thought as to where that pillow may be found the next night. Now she will really appreciate the things and people she loves that much more and at the same time miss those simple differences that turned her ordinary life into an adventure "when she was in spain." Devan you will learn to love those words because you will utter them at least once a day probably for the rest of your life and you will never regret your decision you made to strike out on your own and prove to yourself just how strong you are. How strong I always knew you were. I love you so much and I can't wait to swap stories!

No comments:

Post a Comment

I have shared my thoughts, a penny for yours?