Thursday, August 6, 2009

Business ... I think....

Another of my passions is photography and as I see it, why am I taking all of these pictures if I can't share them? So they probably will almost never have anything to do with what I am writing but either way they are there. Take them or leave them.

I went to lunch with a broker yesterday to see if he might be able to help drum up some business for us. And yes this would be my first business lunch, alone anyway, and I was not sure what to expect. So I made a special effort to prepare a flyer and a portfolio to go over and patiently waited through the small talk for the right moment to start my little "shpeal" and 20 minutes came and went and finally he asked a quick question about the business at hand and then continued on about how he liked to fish and surf and how he was fairly newly married as well. Don't get me wrong, it was a great conversation but not at all what I expected. So I have come to the conclusion that business lunches are a time to start relationships and not a time to actually do business. I guess it makes sense...if someone buys me enough lunches at nice places chances are I am going to get to know them and maybe even like them and quite possibly want to do business with them. Oh did I just "get it"? Is that really how it has been for years and it took me this long to figure it out? Wow, in that case running a business in today's corporate world is expensive because you can't exactly take them to McDonalds now can you? Can you just imagine? Yes I would like to take you out for lunch to discuss the corporate merger, would you like fries with that? Hmm somehow I don't think there would be too much merging... just a guess. Ok well I know you are going to laugh when you look at the time this is posted but I am really tired. Yes I am married but no I am not old .... just tired. So goodnight, God bless and Gig em'. (Not sure where that came from, did I mention I am tired?)

No comments:

Post a Comment

I have shared my thoughts, a penny for yours?